| The Earlier Year Update (EYU) facility has two different methods, these are to correct over-payments and underpayments. Read more... http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/reporting/errors/previous-year.htm
Here are the most important things to remember when correcting employee submission mistakes from a previous year.
- You must use Timesaver:RTI 2014-15 to make an Earlier Year Update for 2013-14.
- You must use Timesaver:Calc for Tax 2014-15 to create a pay slip for each employee/EYU submission, with tax year set to 13/14 and the correct tax code for that year. These payslips should be zero payments and deductions, as you will be entering the values by hand.
- When rolling out values, put a minus sign in front of the value i.e. -4,927.60
- When adding values remember it is only the balance that you need to submit even if it is a YTD field being filled in.
- Make sure that if you are removing en employee i.e. zeroing them out, to use the correct employer reference numbers you are rolling them out of.
- The employee payroll number is important as it is how HMRC link RTI submissions together rather then the employees name, so make sure it is the same.
- Remember to fill in the leaver section at "employee/Employment/41. Date employment contract ended or state pension or taxable benefit ended".
- Make sure to apply this patch on your computer, there where some updates made to the RTI EYU. http://payesoft.com/download/RTI.Update.1.2.2.exe
Below is an example of a zero payslip created for use with an EYU, The correct employee information has been entered when the payslip was stored.
We have have now started up Timesaver:RTI and selected this payslip in the list, selected the Earlier Year Update tab and entered 13-14 in field 18a.
Note: At this point we must make sure we are using the correct employer reference information, ether the employer we are rolling the employee out of or the employer we are adding to.
We now click on the Employee tab and then make sure all the information is entered under the Employee Details tab before moving back to the Employment tab.
For this example I am rolling out an employee who was submitted under the wrong employer reference, so will also set there leaving date at the beginning of the year.
Note: I am using the same employee payroll number I used when submitting this employee in error.
I have now selected the Payments tab and entered the total of everything submitted, but with a minus value.
We now select the NI Letters and Values tab and enter the minuses values.
At this stage we can now click the submit button and if all goes well will get the successful submission message.